[Pmwiki-users] ?pagename= addresses

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Dec 10 20:23:29 CST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:37:12AM +0100, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> At 18:30 10.12.2004, you wrote:
>
> >IMHO it would've been much nicer if the Common Gateway Interface
> >(CGI) specification had just used '?' as the variable=var separator for
> >the entire QUERY_STRING, instead of just indicating the start of the
> >QUERY_STRING.  The use of '?' in this way would've been far superior to
> >'&', especially since any '&' must be written as '&' when used in
> >HTML documents (including href= attributes).
>
> good idea !
> Ehm - where do we have to request this to become a global www-feature ? ;-)

Actually, W3C has already gone in a different direction by suggesting
CGI and server implementations support the use of semicolons in place of
ampersands [1].  But it seems silly to me to reserve the '?' solely to
mark the beginning of the query string when it could easily be (re-)used as
a form field separator.  And it would certainly make for a more
consistent mechanism for appending form parameters to uris that might
or might not already have other form parameters present.

Pm

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#ampersands-in-uris