[Pmwiki-users] local install
Tue Dec 21 07:00:56 CST 2004
At 2004-12-21 08:23 AM +0000, Ciaran is rumored to have said:
>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:28:44 +0100, Knut Alboldt <pmwiki at alboldt.de> wrote:
> > There are some other webservers for windows, which are quite suiteable
> > for local usage:
> > Abbyss (ca 300 kb) and Xitami (ca 1,2 MB as far as I can remember) both
> > free for personal use and I think they both run on Linux also.
In my quest for a Windows-based PnWiki, I tried or looked at several options:
* Savant Web Server - http://savant.sourceforge.net/index.html - does not
support virtual servers, otherwise very good.
* http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad/ - installer of Apache, My SQL
and PHP - did not try
* Uniform Server v3.2 - Apache2, PHP 4, My SQL 4, PERL 5 - did not try
* XAMPP - Apache, My SQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl,
Open SSL, phpMy Admin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 ,
Jp Graph?, File Zilla FTP Server, mcrypt, Turck MMCache, SQLite, and
WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql - installed and worked fine, but had too many
things I didn't want included
* Xitami - fully configured for Win32 and has FTP and virtual hosts -
cannot proxy - sparse docs - may be unsupported
* Sambar Server?Freeware Win32 Web server - Reviewed on serverwatch - this
was originally my choice because it had "console" configuration. Dropped
because could not do mod_rewrite. Very active support group.
I finally bit the bullet and installed Apache2/PHP/Active Perl/FileZilla
all as standalones.
Apache was the only server that supported all of the features I wanted -
virtual hosts, mod_rewrite, mod_php, reverse proxy (needed to support
internal server), plus it had mod_Perl if I need it.
For one button installs, I would revisit phptriad, Uniform Server, or
XAMPP. All the others require separate installs of PHP.
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Eton Systems, 15 Pinepoint Drive, Nepean, ON, Canada K2H 6B1
Tel: (613) 829-4668
More information about the pmwiki-users