[Pmwiki-users] spam attack

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Dec 21 21:46:32 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:32:46PM -0800, Eric Appleton wrote:
> The only problem is that a spammer has found
> the web site and bombs the front page with junk web
> site addresses.
>
> Is there anything I can do to prevent this without
> using passwords and limiting access from other people?
> It seems automated and all comes from the same IP
> address, I think. I've gone to history and restored
> the original page, but the spammer keeps returning.

If it's all coming from the same IP address, take a look at
the blocklist recipe at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blocklist .
You can use this recipe to block specific IP address or posts containing
certain words from your wiki.

If you're running 2.0.beta1 or later, you might try upgrading to
2.0.beta12 (just released), and then activating the urlapprove.php
script.  This will cause all external links to have to be listed on
an "ApprovedUrls" page in order for them to be converted into links.
Unapproved urls receive a "approve links" button that will add them
to the approved list (assuming you know the password).

You can also use urlapprove.php to block unwanted posts to the site,
by doing:

    $UnapprovedLinkCountMax = 10;
    include_once('scripts/urlapprove.php');

This will block any post that contains more than ten unapproved urls.
Since wikispammers seem to want to flood pages with links, this will
limit the number of such links they can post (so hopefully they'll just
find somewhere else to do their postings).

Let me know if any of these prove to be helpful.