[Pmwiki-users] Fwd: Problem setting CleanURLs for personal Pmwiki

slonik AZ slonik.az
Sun Dec 26 16:54:54 CST 2004

Patrick,
your email was very helpful. Unfortunately, the new version of
Cookbook/CleanUrls as it written is not quite correct. At least for
Apache2 server it is not a good idea to put full URLs (complete with
"http://" string) in a rewrite rule, for Apache2 sends ithe whole
rewritten URL back to the browser as an external redirection, and,
thus, with all "/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?...." appearing again in a
web-browser's  address bar. If I am not mistaken, the entire purpose
of CleanURLs was to hide "pmwiki.php?" in the address bar.

I think that the previous version of Cookbook/CleanUrls was useful for
a server global web space. Please, add an extra paraghraph saying that
for a personal Wiki addressed as http://host.domain/~user/wiki/
the actual rules in pmwiki/.htaccess file should be

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([A-Z].*)  /~user/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=$1 [L,qsappend]
RewriteRule ^$  /~user/pmwiki/pmwiki.php [L,qsappend]

I think a user can play with both recipes and figure out by trial and
error which one works for him.

Thanks,
--Leo--