[Pmwiki-users] Password for URL-approve?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 29 07:31:28 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 02:47:13PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:32:30PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > What's the password for approving URIs on pmwiki.org?
> >
> > "quick"
>
> Hmm... I noticed that all links on the page are approved at once. That
> behaviour surprised me a bit to be honest, although I'm not sure it's
> necessarily bad.

In general I suspect that there are three possibilities:
  1. all of the new links on a page are good, in which case approving
     the entire set at once is exactly what we want,
  2. all of the new links on a page are bad (come from a spammer),
     in which case we'll restore a previous version of a page and not
     approve any links, or
  3. some links are good and some are bad, in which case someone will
     probably first edit the page to remove the bad links and put us
     into case #1 above.  :-)

I couldn't come up with any situations where I would want to approve links
one-at-a-time, although the code does support that.

> In addition, I think that the page being shown when you do
> 	action=approvesites
> should list what sites are being approved, so you don't accidentally
> approve links.

Yeah, perhaps thats true -- maybe they can go in a footnote,
a popup list, or in a title of some sort.

> If I understand this correctly (and my brain is fuzzy because
> of a cold), we are actually approving domains rather than URIs?
> Maybe the name should reflect this? (i.e. Main.ApprovedDomains)

Nope, the code actually checks for valid uri "prefixes" -- i.e.,
"http://www.pmichaud.com" approves everything on www.pmichaud.com,
while "http://www.example.com/somepath" approves only those uris
on example.com that begin with "/somepath".  In addition to
"?action=approvesites" there's an "?action=approvelinks" that adds
the individual uris to the list rather than just the domains.  I
started out using ?action=approvelinks but quickly found that
?action=approvesites seems to be more appropriate.

> I also wonder if this module is documented somewhere?

Not yet.  One of the many things that still needs documenting.  :-)