[Pmwiki-users] Why track authors?

Nathan Jones nathanj
Sun Feb 1 19:25:01 CST 2004

John Feezell <JohnFeezell at 3wplace.com> wrote:
>Does this mean that you would expect to see the full name of the author
>in the Page History or would the initials be sufficient if it you could
>some how access the full name of the person represented by the initials?

I was thinking that the author tracking would be very simple: I make a
change and type in "Foo", so "Foo" is the name that appears in the Page
Revisions. Some people might use full name, some might use initials.

So, initials would be sufficient, but I wasn't expecting anything that
advanced; it would require PmWiki to:

- prompt for both initials and full name, or
- store details of registered/known users somewhere, or
- use an algorithm to take a full name and shorten it to initials.

Although I wouldn't need it at this stage, it would be nice to see an
extension/cookbook script that does the more advanced stuff:

- let authors register
- links known authors to Users.<author>
- allow an administrator to require registration and login

For those of us who don't need this, a simple text field is fine.

--
Nathan Jones