[Pmwiki-users] rendering question about lists (somewhat important)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Feb 2 19:40:50 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:22:25PM -0500, Reimer Behrends wrote:

> I'm not particularly wild about using markup to control layout. Also, I
> doubt that it can be turned off portably -- you'll require CSS2 features
> that are not universally supported.

All I'm doing is adding the following rule to the pmwiki.css
stylesheet:

dl, ul, ol, pre { margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; }

This may not be universally supported by all browsers, but then
it wouldn't make a big difference on those browsers anyway.

> > The advantages:  authors get much greater control over the vertical layout
> > of items.
>
> Shouldn't that be consistent throughout a site and therefore be defined
> in a central location (such as the site's CSS file), rather than vary on
> a case-by-case basis?

That's what I'm planning to do--it'll be consistent throughout a site
but a site administrator could choose which interpretation is best.
All I'm proposing is that PmWiki's default be different from the
browser default.

> I am not really sure what it is supposed to accomplish, to be honest.
> Could you elaborate?

I'll be glad to elaborate further if this didn't do the trick.  :-)