[Pmwiki-users] Re: Authors/Users WikiGroup?

John Feezell JohnFeezell
Tue Feb 3 07:33:25 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:54:11 +0100 (CET), Christian Ridderstr?m
<chr at md.kth.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, John Feezell wrote:
>
>> Contributors is a little long in my opinion.  Since wikis are a "new"
>> environment for sharing and collaboration, how about creating a
>> new term?  Here is one I created?  Anyone else have one?
>>
>> Wikior: one who authors or contributes to wiki pages.
>>
>> Wikior/{{Scott}} says that Wikior/{{pm}} is allowed
>> to do what Pm wants ala Larry Wall.
>
> It's not bad... but the word is actually not new :-) Googling
> shows that it has been used at least once in Swedish, where 'Wikior' is
> the plural form of 'Wiki'.  As a Swede I can see how the conjugation
> goes from
>
>     Form	  English example
>     'wiki' 	= a wiki		singular, unspecfied
>     'wikin'	= the wiki		singular, specified
>     'wikior'	= several wikis		plural, unspecified
>     'wikiorna'	= these wikis		plural, specified
>
> I guess a case could be made for:
>     wiki
>     wikin
>     wikis
>     wikisarna
> but it's not as consistent with Swedish...
>
> However, following standard Swedish rules of changing a noun into 'user
> of
> that noun', I could say that a 'wikiare' is a person who uses a wiki. We
> would then have:
>
>     wikiare	= a wiki user
>     wikiaren	= the wiki user
>     wikiare	= several wiki users
>     wikiarna    = the wiki users
>
> Well, this should be enough off-topic for a while :-)
>
> /Christian

   Christian thanks for the "collaborative" response.  I'd vote for wikiare
   because it would build into PmWiki an "international" flavor plus it is
   the same word for "a wiki user" and "several wiki users" so

   Wikiare/{{Scott}} says that Wikiare/{{Pm}} is allowed...

   can be thought of as either singular or plural.

/JF