[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Action or form for creating a new page

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 3 15:58:27 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:10:41PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > In MoinMoin, does selecting a page template happen via JavaScript or is
> > > it a special link that is pressed that reloads the page with the desired
> > > template?  How should it work if we do something like this in PmWiki?
> >
> > It's quite straightforward in MoinMoin. You are first shown an
> > intermediary screen where you get to select between no template or one of
> > the existing ones (a template is just any wikipage with the name
> > starting (or maybe ending) in 'Template'.
>
> For pmwiki I think we should forego the intermediary page and just put
> the templates on the EditPage. This is already easy enough to do. And an
> intermediary page seems like it would penalize those that don't want to
> use templates. With a "special link" we can use any page as a template,
> not just those that match '[a-z]Template$' Here's a not-too-creative
> suggested markup:
>
> 	[template:PmWikiPhilosophy]

First of all, let me restate that this choice of a template shold only
happen when the user is about to create a *new* page.

Now, I'm not sure I follow. You say: "put the templates on the EditPage"..
do you mean adding links to EditPage, that will be there when you start
editing a new page?  Will the template-links be there when you are editing
an already existing page?

And [template:....], would that take PmWikiPhilosphy and give that as an
template alternative? Then, what is the result of clicking on such a link
-- is the result a page with an edit form that already contains the
contents of the template page?

In MoinMoin, you get a dynamically generated list of templates and
creating a template page is trivial. Any page name matching the pattern is
considered a template. Of course, I guess a similar effect could be
reached with a directive as follows:

	[[template:[[:alnum:]]+Template$]]

Sorry if I'm becoming unclear here, it's bedtime here :-)

/Christian