[Pmwiki-users] right and center alignment

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat Feb 7 19:36:17 CST 2004

My Comments aboutright and center alignment

I agree that if it's implemented, it should be similar to the existing
WikiStyles, so %align=...% seems OK, but I would prefer to see a different
approach.

Forcing our naive authors to learn this (proprietary) markup, it just
doesn't seem right.  I think IF we are going to teach people markup specific
to PmWiki, then we might as well use existing HTML markup, or something that
RESEMBLES HTML.

PmWiki doesn't have to support HTML in the literal sense, but I see nothing
wrong with resembling HTML, especially when so many of the %style% tags are
already mimicing HTML except the <tag> has be changed to %tag%.

Furthermore, I like the idea of opening and closing tags, such as <tag> and
</tag>.  This way I can affect two or three paragraphs without having to
re-insert the same %style tags% over and over again.  In the long run, the
document will actually be neater looking and contain less markup.   I think
it might also be safer to control, and to prevent errors.

I'm doing my best to think as a user here, not as a programmer or developer.
As a USER, I think simple is better.  I think, the concept of opening and
closing tags, or start-and-stop tags is simple enough for a user to grasp.

Technical Stuff:

I know php has extremely powerful regexp abilities, so searching for start
and stop tags, and using backreferences to store the text between should be
very simple to do.

As for (illegally placed) multiple tags such as %align=center% %align=righ%
appearing on the same line, searching for a open-and-close tag for the first
instance, and stripping out any illegal tags completely would solve that.
Kind of like a spell-checker!

Steven Leite