[Pmwiki-users] right and center alignment

John Feezell JohnFeezell
Sat Feb 7 20:41:47 CST 2004

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:36:10 -0600, John Feezell <JohnFeezell at 3wplace.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:28:36 -0700, Patrick R. Michaud
> <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone have proposed markups for right-justified and center-justified
>> paragraphs?  John Rankin has been using a leading '>' to indicate
>> right-alignment but has expressed that he's not very happy with it.
>> I'd like to see if we can come up with a good markup for this.
>>
>> In PmWiki 0.6-beta I've been using '->' to indicate indented text
>> (and other sites have been doing similar things), so it's probably
>> not a good choice for this.
>>
>> In some sense we could do best by introducing it as a WikiStyle
>> (%align=right%, %align=center%)--anyone in favor of that?  If done
>> this way, I'm thinking that %align=right% or %align=center% anywhere
>> in a markup line would cause the entire line of markup to be
>> right or center justified (and having both %align=right% and
>> %align=center%
>> in a line would be somewhat unpredictable).
>>
>> Ideas, comments, suggestions?
>>
>> Pm
>>

> For me, the simplier the markup the better.  So how about:
> >|     or     >>|     right-justify
> <|>    or     <<|>>   center-justify
> |<     or       |<<   left-justfy
>
> The markup would be placed at the start of a line. This would
> eliminate any possible conficts. It would continue in effect
> until alternate markup is encountered.
>
> e.g.
>
> >| This would all be right-justified. \\
> The right-justification would continue \\
> for as many lines as follow.
> <| Now the text would be left-justified. \\
> It would continue as lef-justified until \\
> a different justification markup was encountered in \\
> the markup.
> <|> Now for some center-justified text \\
> blah blah blah \\
> blah blah blah
> <| And now back to left-justified.
>
> This markup is simple and probably wouldn't occur naturally
> in typical text.  The keystrokes are all in shift mode and
> easy to type.  It is recognizable as markup.  They also relate
> to -> and --> that indicate indented text.
>
> --JF

Well I guess that >| at the first of the line really does look
like markup since in Opera email the considered it as such.

-- JF