[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 10 10:34:48 CST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> > Btw, I happen to feel that putting the group outside of the {{..}} is
> > inconsistent, so for me using that as motivation is sort of like arguing
> > that two wrongs make a right, but that's a totally different issue.
>
> Yeah, it's always kinda bugged me too, but not enough to propose a
> change.

Interesting. I wonder how widely spread that is. Maybe that's something to
look into/discuss for future (0.7/0.8) versions.

> > > Also, I get the feeling that {{~foo}} may actually confuse some people
> > > into thinking that there is some relation to unix accounts when there
> > > is not.
> >
> > Hmm.. I can't honestly see that... I've always associated ~foo with a home
> > directory rather than the actual account. It'd be 'foo' that's the account
> > in my mind.
>
> Right.
>
> Some random user: ``But my account name is "fred", so shouldn't
> I be using {{~fred}} for my user information on the wiki?''

Now that confuses me, but I guess since it's from a user it doesn't have
to make sense ;-)

> Of course that's fine for them to do, but I can see how it might cause
> confusion at some point.

Maybe I'm starting to understand the problem now... are you talking about
a situation where the people using the wiki happen to have accounts for
the intra-net or some other computer system.  You mean that they don't
understand that these are separate systems?

(I've only used pmwiki completely stand-alone, so there aren't any
non-wiki users).

/Christian