[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Feb 10 10:51:30 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:20:14AM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:56:26PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> > Ok, so hypothetically speaking, if we'd been writing {{Profiles/Foo}}
> > instead of Profiles/{{Foo}}, you'd preferred {{~Foo}}?
> > Btw, I happen to feel that putting the group outside of the {{..}} is
> > inconsistent, so for me using that as motivation is sort of like arguing
> > that two wrongs make a right, but that's a totally different issue.
>
> Yeah, it's always kinda bugged me too, but not enough to propose a
> change.

Okay, let's remove the hypothetical and see what breaks.  I went ahead
and made some modifications to the site at pmichaud.com to enable
group names in free links, as in {{PmWiki/free link|s}} or
{{PmWiki.documentation index}}.  WikiTrails appear to work, but I
*need* people to quickly build and run some test cases on the pmichaud.com
site to see if there are any unintended side effects of this change.

To pre-empt a question, a freelink with both an internal and external
group qualifier ignores the internal one, thus Group.{{OtherGroup/free link}}
is the same as writing Group.{{free link}}.

If I elect to keep this change (and it's not yet certain that I'll be
able to do so), then several of the Cookbook scripts will likely need to
be updated to work with the new $FreeLinkPattern.

And *then* perhaps we can better decide what shortcuts to use for
identities.  However, it's pretty easy to type {{Profiles/Patrick Michaud}}
and so we may not need a shortcut at all.