[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Feb 10 14:09:19 CST 2004

On Wednesday, 11 February 2004 7:16 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> > Yeah, it's always kinda bugged me too, but not enough to propose a
>> > change.
>
>> And *then* perhaps we can better decide what shortcuts to use for
>> identities.  However, it's pretty easy to type {{Profiles/Patrick Michaud}}
>> and so we may not need a shortcut at all.
>
>If nothing else, we could wait with introducing the shortcut.
>
>In addition to being shorter, I thought the advantage with a shortcut is
>that it'll be agnostic with respect to the actual name of the group
>containing the profiles. Of course, we can always represent that
>variable using [[$Profiles]].
>
>/Christian.
>
>--
>Christian Ridderstr?m
>http://www.md.kth.se/~chr

Leaving aside (for the moment) whether to write Group/{{free link}} or
{{Group/free link}} ...

If pmwiki is going to introduce something like ~{{jr}} or ~JohnRankin,
could we do it in a more general way? As I understand it (bear with
me, I came to this discussion late) the ~ is a shortcut for writing
"Profiles/". So why not generalise this and allow an administrator to
specify other group name shortcuts?

It seems to me that a general solution, of which '~' => 'Profiles/'
is one case, opens up more options for the future. It would be handy
to have a shortcut for PmWiki/ for example.

OTOH, one would have to choose shortcut characters very carefully to
avoid ambiguity. For example starting a line:

   *{{jr}}

Is that a bullet or a short cut?

--
JR