[Pmwiki-users] Call For Directory Simplicity

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Fri Feb 13 08:24:08 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:41:42AM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> Hope I'm not being nit-picky, but I figured, hey, since we're on a
> roll and quickly approaching 1.0 release, might as well through the
> topic out for discussion :)

Picking nits is what the pre-releases are for! :-)

> I dont' like the directory name "local" - I would prefer "config".
> It's more intuitive to new admins.

How do you figure?  I claim that nothing can be "intuitive" for new
admins since they've no experience.  There has to be a common pool of
knowledge from which users draw for anything to be "intuitive" as
intuition is based upon experience.

That said, why not name it /etc in grand unix tradition?  Or /conf? Or
/opt?

(just advocating devils for a while  :-)

> I don't want to see any more new folders added - I think there are too
> many already.

Hmm.  Are you saying you'd like *less* organization?

> Can PmWiki.php stand on it's own (if I deleted the scripts directory,
> would it still work?). If not, then I think the core files should be
> in the same directory (root directory?) as PmWiki.php.

I disagree. Having everything piled in pmwiki's main directory is
cluttered.   Anyway, I believe pmwiki works just fine without the
scripts directory.  You may lose some functionality, but it will work.

> I think any optional files not being used by default should go in the
> scripts directory.

Good; that's where they are  ;-)

> This makes it more clear what is used/needed, and
> what can be ignored. It also makes it clear what's not being used, but
> what could be used if the user wants to use it (uploads.php for
> example).

Why is this important exactly?

> I also don't care for the directory name "scripts" much.

I tend to agree with Steven on this one, but not having a clearly
better alternative, it'll do just fine. :)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com