[Pmwiki-users] Re: Pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 8, Issue 82

Andres Yver yver
Sat Feb 21 20:02:18 CST 2004

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, at 11:04 PM,
Pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:

> Below is my conception of what the PmWiki default template would
> look like if we followed something along the lines of what Steven
> has suggested.  Some general comments about the format of the template
> file:

Patrick,
I've been struggling for 13 hours now to get a local/config.php file to
work.
Sometimes it displays, then i add or change a variable or an array, and
poof, it's gone, back to plain vanilla.

My two cents on the css layout issue are that css is the best way to
go. Period.
It's the only rational way to separate presentation, content and
markup. Have you ever seen the total disaster that a tables based
layout looks like on a text based browser, or an accessibility device
or a PDA/cellphone/etc, for that matter?

I've got a really nice unbreakable (so far) cross-browser layout in
css, which has a header, left sidebar (could just as easily be right),
content area (which can easily have internal subdivisions for search
and cmds), and footer. Even works in NN4, no hacks.

BUT (big but!)

My local/config.php keeps breaking, and i don't have a clue as to why.

I think that the suggestion for a default template along those lines
would be a great boon.
I could use my nifty css layout, and just drop tags that correspond to
the different bits of the page into the right divs.

thanks,
Andres