[Pmwiki-users] advanced? features on IIS server?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Feb 23 11:52:11 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:35:24AM -0800, Robert Williams wrote:

> >The Gnuwin32 tools provide diff/patch functionality under windows, the
> >question then becomes one of being able to execute external binaries on
> >your webhosting provider.  If it's possible to execute external binaries,
> >we can probably make this work.
>
> Therein lies the rub.  The site is hosted on
> http://www.tacticalsystems.com/  (which answers your last Q, we like it)
> but we can't put executables on it.

Well, you may not be able to install executables into C:\Program Files
using Gnuwin32's setup.exe utility, but that wouldn't necessarily mean
that the diff.exe, patch.exe, and associated dll's couldn't be uploaded
to somewhere in your pmwiki directory and executed from there.

The problem isn't necessarily with installing the executables, it's just
in knowing if the executables can be run.

This isn't to say that I know definitively that this can be made to work,
it's just that one doesn't necessarily have to be able to run a SETUP.EXE
script to get there.  Which is why I'd like to find an IIS hosting service
that I can try some experiments to see what can and can't be done.  :-)

> When we get this sorted out I'll write a page to link off of
> http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Installation describing installation
> on IIS.  It's the least I can do for the fine service you've been providing.

That would be fantastic--thanks!