[Pmwiki-users] What should happen here?

Bob Dively dive
Tue Feb 24 15:50:02 CST 2004

Runar Oudmayer <oudrun at hunden.org> wrote:
>> 1.  Where should the browser be taken after deleting a
>> page
>>
> Whats wrong with the way it is today?

That doesn't convey to the user any information about the
action that has just occurred. It also doesn't inform the
user that they may have just broken a number of links.

>> 2.  Where should the browser go if a reader clicks on
>>     the group name of of a page and no group home page
>> exists?
>>
> back to homepage..... ;-)
>
> I still belive in the simplicity of a WikiWikiWeb and
> PmWiki is so far good at just that....

The problem is that the web doesn't work that way in
general. If you request a document that doesn't exist, the
webserver should let you know that the document doesn't
exist. Sending the user to Main/HomePage will be confusing
because it's not where they wanted to go. I know I was
confused the first time I clicked on the link for the
Profiles group and was sent to Main/HomePage. I went back to
see if I'd clicked the correct link or if there was a bug
somewhere. IMO, hiding things from users (like page
non-existence) is a bad thing.