[Pmwiki-users] Re: Skins

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Wed Feb 25 16:23:22 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:13:01AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > This would probably require
> > some standardization of the template names, which brings me to my other
> > point.  [...]   Perhaps a structure like this would work.
> >
> > pub/skins/pmwiki/default.tmpl
> > pub/skins/newskin/browse.tmpl
> > pub/skins/newskin2/default.tmpl
>
> One of the problems about creating structures that do things "automatically"
> on behalf of the admin is that it increases the learning curve to understand
> all of the pieces and parts of the system.  Wish I had remembered this
> when designing the 0.6.0 layout :-( .  So, I think that a simple system is
> better, along with the power to add capability as it's needed.  I could
> be wrong, but I think most admins will find it easier to understand the
> two "if" statements I wrote above than to figure out where the "browse",
> "edit", "upload", etc. templates should go and what they should be named
> (and why it's not working if they're named wrong).
>
> So, if the PmWiki community develops a standard convention for naming
> of skin templates, I'm all in favor of it, but for now I think it best
> to let it evolve from the simpler system a bit.

Ack! I think the way it is done right now is really nice. It is easy for
everyone and people who want to do more advanced things have to RTFM,
ask here and will definetely learn more of the inner workings of PmWiki
(as I do) doing so.

As you've said the structure as it was suggested above raises the
learning curve and lowers the flexibility IMHO.

     Balu