[Pmwiki-users] Templates and variables: a thought

Nathan Jones nathanj
Thu Feb 26 18:03:39 CST 2004

Pm wrote:
>What should we use as an ending markup?  Or, another way to think of the
>"ending" markup is that it is something that marks the beginning of
>an "anonymous" section--a section not associated with a particular
>variable, name, or feature.

<!--EndFmtVariable--> (first preference)
<!--EndSection--> (second preference)

I can't think of anything clear enough to signal the start of the
anonymous block that follows the variable. Maybe <!--FreeText-->, but I'm
not very fond of that.

A couple of questions, while I'm here:

1. Does PmWiki support a particular list of variables (such that
<!--PageYaJiFmt--> is just a comment), or does it place anything matching
/Page.*Fmt/ into a variable?

2. PmWiki.LayoutBasics just says <!--HeaderText--> is a required
directive - what generally goes into this section? [Goes and looks at
HTML output] Never mind - meta stuff - will add to PmWiki.LayoutBasics
later.

>Two points in this scenario:  [snip]

Yeah, I know - I told you it was contrived. :-)  There are certainly good
workarounds, but having a means to signal the end of a variable may be
useful on occasion.

--
Nathan Jones