[Pmwiki-users] Preview functionality (Was: Checkbox "This is a minor edit" ...)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Feb 27 09:08:10 CST 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:06:16AM -0500, Bob Dively wrote:
> Mathias Dzionsko <madz at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > A little inconvenient: The checkbox "This is a minor
> > edit" is always cleared after hitting "Preview".
>
> Good catch!
>
> On the topic of the preview functionality: I think that the
> order of the Preview page ought to be reversed or split into
> two pages (preview without the edit box on one page and then
> a form back to the edit page).

This was actually discussed at length when preview was first
added and the consensus at the time was that previews should
go on the bottom and not in a separate page.  However, as you
might guess, you can change this in local/config.php with:

    $HandleEditFmt = array(&$PageStartFmt, &$PagePreviewFmt, &$PageEditFmt,
      &$PageEndFmt);

which will cause the preview to be displayed above the edit box
instead of below.

I think it might also be possible to use layout templtes to create a
two-panel layout with the edit box on one side and the preview on the
other, but I haven't tried this yet so don't hold me to it.  :-)

> As far as keeping the user informed about what they are
> seeing on the page I've seen other wikis with preview
> functionality that show the user the preview text with some
> sort of faint watermark gif behind the page that says
> "Preview" or something as a way of reminding them that they
> still need to explicitly save their changes.

This can definitely be done as a local customization.  Something for
me or someone else to play around with in our "spare time".  :-)