[Pmwiki-users] customizations

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 5 08:42:30 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:27:50AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:

> I wasn't around before the 0.5 series, but I must say that I
> appreciate you letting us know what you're working on.

You're welcome!  I think it's useful for people to know what's coming.

> Could I ask why you want PHP-based diff/patch?  (One drawback is of
> course having to implement something again).

The biggest reason is because external diff/patch utilities are often
not available too Windows/IIS installations, and revision history is
fairly important to the long-term functioning of a wiki.  Also, some
web hosting providers turn on PHP's safe_mode setting, which often restricts
access to external programs.  Finally, eventually I may want to have
PmWiki be able to better handle concurrent edits, and native diff/patch/
merge facilities could be a big help for this.

> It would be nice if it would be possible to _also_ use an external program
> to manage different versions of a file in the future. I looked briefly at
> the HandleDiff() in pmwiki.php, but I couldn't figure out what it does :-(

In 0.6 the diff/patch functions will likely be modularized (much like
search.php and upload.php), so that the wiki administrator can choose
a different diff/patch/versioning utility if desired.  PmWiki 0.6 will be
distributed such that it can use either the PHP or the external diff/patch
functions.