[Pmwiki-users] Another idea before bedtime...

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jan 5 16:18:17 CST 2004

Hi

I just added some text to a wiki page and noticed that the perhaps most
common use I have for [[<<]] is in markup like this:

	:boost: Could someone add an explanation plz? -- Christian [[<<]] \
	Is the URI http://www.boost.org ?

I.e. I use first a simple break line, directly followed by a line
continuation character. This is actually a bit stupid IMO.... what I
really want to do is force a line break without leaving the current
paragraph style.

So here's another suggestion based on '\\'... skip the break paragraph
thing (i.e. leave that as [[<<]]) and let '\\' be newline, and '\' be line
continuation. Then the markup could look like this:
        :boost: Could someone add an explanation plz? -- Christian \\ \
        Is the URI http://www.boost.org ?

or like this:
        :boost: Could someone add an explanation plz? -- Christian \\\
        Is the URI http://www.boost.org ?

but both actually represent two 'tokens', not one.

Oh, and why do I need the combo [[<<]] \   well, I think the need shows
up when you're using a text editor (in my case Emacs with pmwiki-mode) to
edit the page... because you like to keep the markup formatted, just like
you would for source code, i.e. it's easier to read => it's faster to work
with.

/Christian

PS.
Some statistics for my site (427 pages) of frequence of different markup:

  Markup etc	N.o pages	Comment
  [[<<]]	81
  \		63
  \\		6		(4 appear in regexps, 2 in latex examples)

So as you can see, I do use [[<<]]\ or [[<<]] \ quite frequently.

I added the results here:

http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki?pagename=Development.MarkupFrequency

It would be interesting if other people added simiarl statistics.

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr