[Pmwiki-users] Markup...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 14 08:43:28 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:34:26PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> [...]
> So in conclusion:
>  - If '::' should be a quoted thing, we should use <blockquote>
>  - If '::' it should just be an indented thing we should be using <div>.

Well, PmWiki's '::' markup has never really meant "quoted text" nor
"indented text", it's always been first-and-foremost a way to do definition
lists.  It just so happens that many wikis (including PmWiki) have used it
as a convenient mechanism for indented text.  So I don't plan to change
the output of '::' itself.

I think that indented text and blockquotes are separate things.  I like the
use of '-->' to mean "indent text", and following the HTML4 recommendations
(9.2.2) we should not use <blockquote> as a means to indent text.  That
leaves <div>.

If we really want to have a way of marking quoted (as opposed to indented)
text using <blockquote>, then we should introduce a new markup for it.
A simple one would be "=quote <text>".  :-)  Personally, I don't think we
need a defined markup for <blockquote> (it can be left as a local
customization).