[Pmwiki-users] RE: pmwiki-0.6.beta1 released

Robin Sheat robin
Thu Jan 22 18:03:08 CST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:18:47PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I already know of several of the largest barriers:
>    (1) perceived lack of security and/or control of the wiki,
>    (2) the markup is seen as being too complex, or wiki lacks a WYSIWYG
>        editor, and
I have a reasonable number of people using my wiki (it hosts a couple of
personal pages and the content for an internet-based roleplaying game).
Most of the users were 'forced' into it (ie, the people running the RPG
use the wiki, and so the players have no choice but to as well.) These
people seem to have no problem with it.

As for people who I suggest use it for something, they tend to fall into
the two classes according to which thing above they have an issue with.
The computer science types who poke at systems security for fun/interest
question (1), people who are the kinds of people with no interest in
learning something new about computers tend to claim (2).

However, mostly the first group are happy once you tell them that (a)
the only unauthorised edits I've had are people fixing typos, or
people making a legitimate addition to something that I hadn't
explicitly allowed (but didn't mind), and (b) if you don't like that,
you can set a password.

>    (3) the markup is seen as being too limiting, and cannot achieve
>        all of the functionality of a pure HTML/XHTML/XML environment.
I have never had people bring this up. I think the expectation is that
it isn't a web development environment, it is a content presenting
environment. (compare LaTeX to MS-Word. Word lets you spend time making
it look pretty and flashy, LaTeX makes you think about the content and
takes care of making it look elegant itself).

My thoughts...

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>                 JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0x776DB663 Fingerprint=DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D B663