[Pmwiki-users] Single wiki, multiple hostnames; restricting group access based on hostname

Niall Durham niall_durham
Thu Jan 22 21:19:27 CST 2004

Hello,

On our shared hosting server we have it setup where a single PmWiki
installation powers several different PmWiki groups tied to different
hostnames.  E.g.,

http://www.going-coastal.com
http://www.thunderdata1.com

There are several benefits to this setup.  However, one drawback is
that one can access another group (another site, usually) from the
"incorrect" host:

http://www.thunderdata1.com/wiki/GC/About

Since the graphics and stylesheet are stored under the
going-coastal.com host, the page is not rendered properly (as you can
plainly see).  Some of the web crawlers even index sites under the
wrong hostname:

http://www.google.com/search?q=going-coastal+escalante

The best solution I have come up with (I'm planning on coding it up
tomorrow/next week) is to make a script that contains a mapping of
PmWiki groups to (correct) hostnames.  E.g. (pseudo markup),

    "GC" => "going-coastal.com",
    "TDS" => "thunderdata1.com",

This script will check the REQUEST_URI to make sure the group and
hostname match.  If they don't, it will reformat the request with the
proper hostname and return a 301 w/ the corrected URL.

We want something that's easy to maintain as we add more sites and
allows pre-existing incorrect hostname URLs will still work.  With
this approach, we only have to add one line to this "group ->
hostname" script for each new site/group we add, and add an
include_once() line to each customized group script.

So...  The reason I'm spamming everyone is to see if someone has
already solved this problem and/or has a better solution/idea than
I'm planning to implement.

Thanks for reading this far,

Niall