[Pmwiki-users] 0.6-beta -- possible change to search results

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jan 26 15:33:35 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Or is this a step too far?
>
> I actually hadn't considered displaying text snippets after the search
> results yet, but it's a worthy consideration.  So let me just say
> that at the moment it's a step farther than I want to take for the 0.6.0
> release.  Also, rather than adding a parameter to [[$Searchresults]],
> I'd probably just create a separate directive such as [[$Searchsnippets]].

I think I'd prefer addiing an argument instead of increasing the n:o
directives, but I'm not really sure. Patrick, what's your reason for
preferring a separate directive? (easier to implement or something?)

> Another consideration: in uploads one gets a list of available uploads
> by doing [[$Attachlist]].  Should that have been [[attachlist:...]]
> instead?

Since I've been rewriting that directive, I can say that I keep forgetting
to add the '$'...

> And to pre-empt the obvious question:  No, I really *don't* have a
> good distinction in meanings/interpretation between the [[$Word]] and
> [[word:...]] forms of directives.  Originally things such as
> [[$Title]], [[$Group]], [[$Titlespaced]], [[$Groupspaced]], [[$Search]],
> etc. were named by way of reference to their $...Fmt variable
> equivalents, while [[noheader]], [[spacewikiwords]], and the like
> tended to be "directives" that affected the overall page and didn't
> produce any direct output.  But [[include:]] and [[$Attachlist]] might
> not fit well into that model... :-(  Should we try for something
> more consistent, or not bother?

Here's a loose idea: Have all the '$'-directives be parse before the other
double brackets. There's no connection with the '$', but it gives it a
meaning :-)

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr