[Pmwiki-users] Action to provide last modified date and md5 checksum

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jul 8 21:32:23 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 12:38:57AM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> [...]
> This is all very good and well for the person doing the editing from
> within Emacs, but if someone else edits the page in between, those changes
> will be overwritten when Emacs uploads the page.
> tendency to forget to use it).
> [...]
> I was thinking of how to handle this, and in order to do that I think it
> would be good if I (Emacs) could access the last date a page was modified,
> and also if I could get an md5 checksum off a page's contents.

Note that PmWiki 2.0 already handles merging of simultaneous edits,
provided that the program posting a new version of a page also provides
a 'basetime' parameter that indicates the version of the page that was
used as the source for the edit.  IIRC, basetime doesn't have to be the
exact timestamp of the page itself, but can be simply the time in which
the source was retrieved.

> Is this already available in pmwiki? If not, maybe we could introduce an
> action that provides details of a page in some simple format (e.g. plain
> text).

I like John's suggestions for using an existing standard (e.g., Dublin
Core Extensions) for this.  We could also define custom HTTP response
headers, as in X-PmWiki-Last-Modified: 1017503435 and the like.

> I can imagine adding all kinds of details to this page in future just for
> the fun of it.

PmWikiPhilosophy #3:  Avoid gratuitous features.  :-)