[Pmwiki-users] what to do when people enter HTML

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jul 14 20:18:02 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:21:09AM +1000, Jason Grossman wrote:
> Hey, I've had a new idea (I think - OK, there's nothing new under the
> sun).
>
> When a user enters some HTML, not realising that PmWiki doesn't do
> HTML, instead of merely failing to parse it, why not give 'em an error
> message (maybe a funny one), and point them to
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyDoesntWikiDoHtml ?

A good idea for a local customization; but HTML strings in a wiki page
are not necessarily "errors".  Sometimes I'm writing a page about HTML,
and I'm glad that PmWiki isn't interpreting my <...> sequences.  :-)

Besides, I don't want to code up every possible HTML tag, nor do
I want to assume that everything inside of angle brackets is an
HTML tag <grin>.