[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Request for method to let plugins execute code after stdconfig.php

chr@home.se chr
Fri Jul 16 14:55:41 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> Seems like there would be a use for a tool that analyzes a plugin and
> gives a report of which variables/functions it uses/modifies.  Then
> you could have another tool that does this for pmwiki and all of the
> plugins and identifies potential points of conflict.

Hmm... you mean like a debugging tool that checks which variables exist
(and what they contain) before a plugin is executed, and then compares
this to the state afterwards?

That might be useful... isn't there a name for that kind of tool?
instrument-something?

I guess it could even be automated if we could overload 'include_once' to
automatically invoke this tool.

> It's not so much work if you have a suite of regression tests setup so
> that you can see if anything has changed. Then you only have to do the
> manual inspection and modification if/when a regression test fails.

I wish I had those tests set up though... have you seen any links to tools
that lets you do unit tests of php-scripts (i.e. like plugins for pmwiki).

For the version of 'upload.php' I've done, I could really use a serious
testing suite.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr