[Pmwiki-users] link icons

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Thu Jul 22 09:08:30 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:44:26AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> Oh, and I don't think that the link itself has to indicate some
> action (like people who put [Create] instead of ? for unedited links)
> as long as the page they are taken to has enough information for them
> to figure out what to do.  Even adding "you have clicked on a link for
> a page that currently does not exist, please edit the page so that it
> may be created" or somesuch to the top of the edit page would be okay.

I just wanted to vote for a superscripted (top?) link called "create" :)

> > Yes, I know they're
> > used as "real" punctuation in many non-English languages; OTOH, I'm not
> > sure that using them in this manner is entirely incorrect or disturbing
> > to someone reading the text.  ?this? would also give an advantage over
> > 'this?' as one could easily see the entire link phrase associated with
> > the link (e.g., if the link phrase contains spaces).
>
> Indeed.

As long as links are underlined this is no problem :). If you want to
give "the entire link phrase" as a reason you have to surround links to
existing pages too.

I'd suggest to mark links to other pages using a different way, perhaps
with a different background-color, a different border-line (dashed,
different colour?) or similar.

Another idea would be to use "+" or "+++" superscripted as textual icons
for "creation". I like them more than a ? which really looks like the
phrase stops there.

     Balu