[Pmwiki-users] funky URL doesn't appear correctly

Kass Lloyd kasslloyd
Thu Jul 22 16:51:09 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:01:48 -0500, Matt Vance <mvance at pobox.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the following URL doesn't appear correctly when pasted
> into pmwiki:
>
> http://www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@108.eRZFahrG0sw^0@.ee6b310
>
> I tried it both on my own wiki and at pmwiki.org.  The end of the URL
> gets cut off at the caret.  I don't know if the problem is with the URL
> or with pmwiki.  I just thought I'd pass along the info.
>
> - Matt

If you read RFC 1738 that defines URL syntax you learn that the '^'
symbol is unsafe to use in urls and should always be encoded. I'm
going to make a safe bet that PmWiki uses the RFC standard for
auto-linking urls in text.

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1738.html

On a sidenote Google's Gmail made the entire line a link includeing the ^.

Kass