Reason for using a class (was Re: [Pmwiki-users] Re: Request for)

Ben Shakal ben.shakal
Fri Jul 23 13:40:28 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:16:23 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Another way to do it would be to use an array, as in $MailPosts['To'],
> $MailPosts['Delay'], etc.  However, note doing it as arrays, as well
> as using classes, prevents the variables from ever being used in $...Fmt
> strings, which may or may not be desirable depending on the application.

Hi Patrick, I just had a quick question...  I admit I haven't studied
pmwiki's internals in too much detail, but I know PHP well, and I'm
not sure I understand why using arrays or classes prevents variables
from being used in the $...Fmt strings.  Is this something specific to
the way pmwiki builds those strings?  Shouldn't
"...{$MailPosts['To']}..."  or "...$MailPosts[To]..." work?

Also, I've been lurking on the mailing list for a while now, and I
want to thank you for being so responsive and helpful... When I first
found out about pmwiki, I was a bit scared off by the fact that there
was just on person behind it, and that person's initials were even in
the project name. :)  I follow several other "single developer"
projects (*cough*Courier*cough*), and the people behind many of them
have turned cynical and unhelpful.  I hope it is not just a matter of
time before newbies get annoying to you! :)

Anyway, thanks for the great software, and thanks in advance for any
light you can shed on my confusion. :)

-Ben