[Pmwiki-users] Re: More anti-spam ideas

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Jun 8 09:45:23 CDT 2004

> 2. It will only encourage spammers to use other pages!
>
> Pm's idea of clearing the sandbox regularly seems better although it
> will still suffer from problem 2 (and 10 minutes seems a bit harsh to
> me, can we have 30?).

A drawback with regularly clearing the sandbox was mentioned in another
discussion (I think it was in the forum of the guy who organized the SEO
contest). IIRC, the point was that the sandbox is often used to write
question and answers, e.g. a newbie would write a question in the sandbox
and some more experienced user would write an answere there. This seems
natural to newbies for some reason, I've actually noticed a few questions
in the sandbox at wiki.lyx (which I've even answered).

OTOH, this would be less of a problem if the help text in the sandbox
explains that it is cleaned every 30 minutes. The text would also have to
point to an alternative questions/feedback page (or an alternative
mechanism for asking questions etc). For example, I just looked in the
sandbox and someone had written:

	The logo drives me mad. Please someone replace the image with this
	one: http://www.stormlight.de/lyx.gif

i.e. a suggestion for a prettier logo.

/Christian