Re: [Pmwiki-users] Re: meaning of §

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Jun 10 15:59:50 CDT 2004

On Friday, 11 June 2004 2:25 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:

>> in german this is a shortening for "paragraph" and is used in the
>> connection with laws etc.
>
>Ok, I had some vague memory of writing stuff like:
>
>	?1. First item on the agenda
>	?2. Second item on the agenda
>
>in protocols. Just out of curiosity, do you think it's ever
>used in wikis?
>
>(Maybe we could use "??something...??" as inline markup for
>something?)

According to The Elements of Typographic Style, it means section
and is "the scribal form of double s, now used chiefly with
reference to legal codes and statutes, when citing particular
sections for reference" and ?? means sections.

So it /could/ be that "??something...??" means "link to
something on this page" (or it could be an elegant solution
looking for a problem).

--
JR