[Pmwiki-users] Functionality of groups (was: Why groups?)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat Jun 12 10:27:58 CDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Steven Leite wrote:

> I'm particularly fond of the way I can create a template or new config
> file on a perGroup or perPage basis.

I also like the ability to do per-group customization, but I wonder if we
aren't letting the current implementation steer us here. What is it really
that we want to accomplish?

Let us assume that we don't have groups in the way we are used to with
PmWiki, but that group just means a collection of pages. To emphasize this
I'm going to write "class" instead of group. Here are now some things I'd
like to be able to do based on which class(es) a page belongs to:

* Specify a "group" header or footer
* Control password settings
* Execute different config files

Please note that we could in theory allow a page to belong to several
classes as long as there is no conflict in what is specified by the class.

I don't have a finished idea of how this should work, but I have the
feeling that the current group concept actually contains several
"orthogonal" ideas that might benefit from being separated.

What other functionality do we currently use today that is based on the
concept of a group?

/Christian