[Pmwiki-users] New link markup -- using [[...]] or ((...))

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jun 14 02:56:13 CDT 2004

Hi

I just wanted to bring this up in a separate discussion. It originated
with the posts noting that '[' and ']' are slightly difficult to type on
several keyboards (Swedish, French, German and probably quite a few more).

I think there are some wikis that use ((..)) for links and these are much
easier/faster to type on non-english keyboards. Furthermore, typing ((..))
on english keyboards should be just as easy, or easier because they`re
used more often.

So I'd like to hear some more arguments for and against the use of ((..))
v.s. [[..]]

Here are some motivations from the top of my head, I've tried to put it as
three sections. First one where we can add items about the relative merit
of one style over the other, and then two sections that discuss the
different styles separatelyw, where '+' means good and '-' means bad.

!!Relative merit of using [[...]] or ((..))
* ((..)) is quicker/easier to type on (western?) keyboards
* [[..]] stands out more in normal text (good or bad?)
* [[..]] is more common as markup syntax

!!Pros and cons with using ((..))
+ Quick and easy to type
+ Should be quick and easy to type on almost all (western?) keyboards
- Perhaps less common than [[..]]?
- Some mathematical expressions might need quoting

!!Pros and cons using [[..]]
+ Used by wikipedia for instance
- Difficult to type on non-english keyboards

/Christian