[Pmwiki-users] user authentication

Jason Grossman Jason.Grossman
Mon Jun 14 14:19:12 CDT 2004

On 14/06/2004, at 8:19, Pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:

> There's no ETA on this, at least from an official PmWiki release
> perspective.  (Cookbook implementations are always possible.)
> The status is that while it's fairly easy to create a system to
> manage user ids and passwords (identification+authentication), it's
> not so obvious what to do with that information once it's available
> --i.e., how does one specific the actions that (authenticated)
> userids are allowed to perform on individual groups and pages?

Personally I'm happy with the way things are now, but I thought it
might be helpful to point out that what some people want is merely for
the authentication status of each edit to be stored on the server as an
audit trail.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be used by PmWiki at all
- some people might find it useful simply to resolve conflicts between
authors (e.g. over intellectual property) retrospectively; or, more
plausibly, some people might like the peace of mind of knowing they
could do that in the unlikely event that they ever needed to.  twiki
has a model like this.

Jason G.