[Pmwiki-users] Re: Uploading and password proctecting

Fabio Reis Cecin frcecin
Wed Jun 16 08:36:10 CDT 2004

On 16 Jun 2004 at 10:27, Pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:22:18 -0600
> From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:05:02AM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Steven Leite wrote:
> >
> > > I think the idea of having uploaded files in a non-web-accessible
> > > directory is a VERY good idea.  (...)
> >
> > The drawback, as you mentioned further down, is that we loose the ability
> > to use other tools for browsing uploaded files.
>
> (....)
>
> The real question is simply "what should the default configuration be?"

Following the Principle of Least Astonishment, I would expect that a group
that is password-protected for reading pages would also expect the same
password to be given for "reading" the attachments on that group.

Also, if I changed the wiki config to attach files per-page, I would expect
the page password to be resolved for retrieving a given attachment for
it's "host" page.

While we're at it :-) I would like PmWiki to have a password that
allowed replacing existing attachments. This would be nice to have as
a per-wiki / per-group / per-page, like the upload password. It can work
as a "more powerful" upload password, that replaces attachments if
they already exist (the other password would never do it). Downside
is having yet another password... but then I don't have to manually fix
the wiki when my advisor wants to upload a new version of a file with
the same name :-) Also this eliminates the debate of whether upload
passwords should overwrite existing attachments or not.

- Fabio