[Pmwiki-users] Simple tables in PmWiki2.0

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Jun 16 22:02:27 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 17 June 2004 2:56 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:30:19PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
>> Suggestion:
>> Extend the simple table syntax to support
>> <th> as well as <td> markup
>>
>> Markup options:
>> ||!this bit is a header!||and this bit isn't||
>
>Would it be better to just use a leading ! instead of both leading and
>trailing !'s?  For example:
>
>    ||!this is a header||and this bit isn't||

Not sure. The reason I suggested both ends was that if it's too
much like:

    !heading markup

some people might expect to write:

    ||!!this is a bigger header||and this bit isn't||

And because it's part of a markup that's paired || ... ||
it kinda feels as if it ought to close to be consistent.

But either way works for me.

>Also, how should left/center/right justification be handled in this
>case?  <th> normally centers its contents in most browsers, should
>PmWiki override this whenever the text is against the left margin, or
>only if there are trailing spaces?
>
>    ||!no align= attribute||      <th>  or <th align='left'> ?
>    ||!align=left         ||      always <th align='left'>
>
>My vote is that align=left is only added if the trailing spaces are
>there.

Agreed.

>Should the ! travel with the text for centered/right justified contents?
>For example
>    ||!    align=center   ||!    align=right||
>versus
>    ||    !align=center   ||    !align=right||
>
>My vote is for the first.

Agreed.

>I've implemented a prototype of this markup in the 2.0 development
>wiki--it assumes that trailing spaces are needed to force left
>justification, and that the ! immediately follows the ||.  See
>
>    http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/SimpleTables
>
>Feel free to experiment with it there and provide feedback, suggestions,
>etc.

Excellent.

--
JR