[Pmwiki-users] javascript for links question

J. Meijer commentgg
Fri Jun 18 15:05:42 CDT 2004

I have been experimenting with &date=30-5-2004 and &trail=Group1-Group2
extensions to the url using the url_rewrite function in php. But this
transforms every single url on the page making them Longer and Longer.
Absurd.

With javascript (I presume) one can do this transform when the link is
clicked. At that time even the wikilink itself might be expanded to the full
url-format, so the href might simply read 'MyGroup.MyPage' instead of the
kilometric 'http://www.mydotorgormy.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?pagename
=MyGroup.MyPage&trail=MyLastGroup-MyGroup', a whopping 93 characters. It is
not uncommon to have pages with 30-40 links. So links are a major factor in
page size though compression reduces the impact.

Is it easily possible to do this transform in the browser, has someone done
this already, could anyone give me a start? Or is it a non-starter, because
it killes the shift-click option? I have experienced links not working in
f.e. hotmail due to javascript errors. I have heard reports of javascript
'sucking', why is that?
It nevertheless seems very attractive.

-jm