[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Mar 2 15:55:23 CST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I just felt that it would make more sense if alt= information was
> more closely tied to the image URL than WikiStyles permit, and if the
> alt-text was written after the image URL instead of before, since
> alt-text tends to be parenthetical anyway.

I agree it makes more sense putting the alternate text after the image
URI.

> A syntax like
>
>    http://www.example.com/path/image.gif=="Alt Text"
>
> has promise, but...

I.e. it's (too) difficult to implement (to be worth the effort).

> One last gasp...what about something like:
>
>    http://www.example.com/path/image.gif[Alt Text]
>
> where the [Alt Text] becomes a generic part of all URL markup (part of
> the $UrlPathPattern), used to specify the "alt=" attribute for image
> tags and the "title=" attribute for other links.

Me like :-)
(of course, we'll probably start a new discussion on wether it should be

> Width, height, and the like would still be specified by WikiStyles.

I agree.

> We could also use some other character besides square brackets to
> surround "Alt Text", but it needs to be something that wouldn't normally
> be found following a URL in text.

I guess this becomes a bit more complicated since we're no longer
restricting this to images.

/Christian