[Pmwiki-users] How best to develop a wiki farm

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Mar 16 18:09:29 CST 2004

On Wednesday, 17 March 2004 1:32 PM, Donald Gordon <donald at mcs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>>(snip)
>>
>> and so on. This removes the need for global write permissions
>> on pmwiki/ and wikifarm.d/ gets created in the same way as
>> wiki.d/ and uploads/.
>
>But we'd still end up giving the web server write access to
>wikifarm.d/field.a/pub/ and wikifarm.d/field.a/local/ (I
>think).
>
>I personally like the idea of keeping all the data for a field in a
>single directory, with subdirectories for wiki.d and uploads, as this
>makes it easy to turn an existing Wiki into a field in the farm, or
>convert a field into a standalone Wiki, should the need arise.  It also
>makes removing or renaming fields easier.
>
>However, there's the problem of having the webserver user own
>wikifarm.d/field.a, and having pub/ and local/ inside it.  One option
>for this (the easiest way, IMHO) is to simply say "handle per-field
>customisations however you see fit" to users of WikiFarm...

So we'd only create wiki.d/ and uploads/ directories, which pmwiki
already handles, given a directory name. That sounds clean and simple.
Having a wikifarm.d/field.1/ directory also makes it easy for
administrators to create field-specific local/ and pub/ directories
in wikifarm.d/field.x/ if that's the way they wish to go.

--
JR