[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for the sample-config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Mar 18 13:52:35 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:39:26PM +0000, David Jackson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I don't know why I didn't see this before, but the info at
> http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Cookbook/ReduceBandWidth
> has made a fantastic difference to my site. :-)
>
> Can I suggest that this info is put (commented) into the
> sample-config.php?
> Or perhaps get a mention in the initial tasks page?

How about if I just add it to the standard default configuration, with an
option to set $EnableCompressedOutput=0 for those who don't want it?

Also, I'm currently experimenting with getting PmWiki to honor the
"If-Modified-Since" request header, which has the potential to reduce
bandwidth even further because it allows browsers to again use the
local cache if someone returns to a previously visited page (and no
pages have been modified since then).  Basically it allows PmWiki to
return "304 Not Modified" responses (with no body) instead of always
returning "200 OK" responses with the entire regenerated page content.

I have the If-Modified-Since feature enabled on all of the pages in
the Development group on pmichaud.com, if people want to test them for
me.  Basically I'm looking to see if any browser caches get out of sync
with the true page contents after someone edits a page.