[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for the sample-config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Mar 18 23:59:08 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:04:57PM -0500, Reimer Behrends wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 01:52:30PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> [Using PHP's built-in compression.]
> > How about if I just add it to the standard default configuration, with an
> > option to set $EnableCompressedOutput=0 for those who don't want it?
>
> Okay, here is one problem with that. It is a non-issue in the current
> configuration, but in combination with using If-Modified-Since or a
> similar mechanism, it can actually _increase_ bandwidth consumption.
> [...]

Thanks for the most excellent and detailed description.

A question, though:  You said that "IE's handling of the
'Vary: Accept-Encoding' response header is to throw away its
locally cached copy".  Does this mean that IE doesn't cache the
page at all (i.e., "throws it away" immediately after displaying it), or
does it mean upon receiving a subsequent response with
"Vary: Accept-Encoding" IE invalidates its cached copy?

I suspect you mean the first, because if it's the second then the
simple solution would seem to be to simply not compress "304 Not Modified"
on the response and IE doesn't invalidate its cached copy of the page.
But the way the statement about IE's handling of "Vary: Accept-Encoding"
is phrased above makes me want to clarify things a bit to make sure...  :-)

Thanks again.