[Pmwiki-users] one installation, multiple wikis

Crisses crisses
Mon Mar 22 15:57:24 CST 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 4:09 PM, John Rankin wrote:

> On Tuesday, 23 March 2004 4:16 AM, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
>>> there is a working prototype of the wiki farm idea, as described on:
>>> http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/WikiFarm
>>
>> Interesting.  I don't like setting the variables on the farm...I'm not
>> sure I like having a "farm" installation of the wiki: I was thinking
>> all browser-accessible wikis would be fields.  Hrm.
>
> Good point:
> - in our case, we need the ability to add fields to an existing wiki
> and let people treat the fields like a trail -- so having a farm page
> in the 'home' field to control access makes sense for us

Can't that be done with Intermap links in the page templates for each
Farm, thus making it possible to use an uncentralized field method?

> - an administrator can set the the list of available fields in
> config.php if desired and omit the WikiFarm page

I am not sure I like the idea of an admin *having to do that* but I can
see a place for a Farm admin to need to have wiki installations
authenticate with the central config file: i.e. a scheme could be
installed to validate fields in a more restrictive environment, causing
unauthorized installations of fields to fail to access pmwiki fully.  I
think the default should be as unrestricted as wikis themselves are by
default.  It's an open environment idea, and people can clamp down on
security if they need or desire to.

> - we chose to keep all the data in one place (which is different from
> what you want to do), so we have to set the variable names for the
> current field

How is that data stored?  All in the same wiki.d folder or in separate
wiki.d folders?

> So what we are doing and what you want to do are a bit different, but
> perhaps you can use some of the ideas and experiences.

Perhaps...I'm looking for a method that would be flexible enough to
allow the separate fields to be in the same "root" folder, but with
access to each  field primarily controlled by virtual domains via
Apache httpd.conf  -- that is more than enough trouble for the
webserver admin :P

Crisses
----
I need a map of your head, translated into english so I can learn to
not make you frown...
  -- Incubus, "Clean"