[Pmwiki-users] one installation, multiple wikis

John Rankin john.rankin
Mon Mar 22 17:54:17 CST 2004

On Tuesday, 23 March 2004 11:57 AM, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:

>> Good point:
>> - in our case, we need the ability to add fields to an existing wiki
>> and let people treat the fields like a trail -- so having a farm page
>> in the 'home' field to control access makes sense for us
>
>Can't that be done with Intermap links in the page templates for each
>Farm, thus making it possible to use an uncentralized field
>method?

Yes, if you wanted to. We generate "allowed" intermap links from
the WikiFarm page, but it doesn't have to be done that way.

>> - an administrator can set the the list of available fields in
>> config.php if desired and omit the WikiFarm page
>
>I am not sure I like the idea of an admin *having to do that* but I can
>see a place for a Farm admin to need to have wiki installations
>authenticate with the central config file: i.e. a scheme could be
>installed to validate fields in a more restrictive environment, causing
>unauthorized installations of fields to fail to access pmwiki fully.  I
>think the default should be as unrestricted as wikis themselves are by
>default.  It's an open environment idea, and people can clamp down on
>security if they need or desire to.

We took a middle way: a field isn't recognised until it's mentioned on
the WikiFarm page, which can be open or secured. But it doesn't have to
be done that way. It's mostly for pragmatic reasons: it's easier
(for release 1.0) to build a list of intermap references from the
WikiFarm page, and let pmwiki take over, than it is to try to handle
arbitrary intermap  references and assume they are references to a
new field if they are undefined. But there may be a better way...

>> - we chose to keep all the data in one place (which is different from
>> what you want to do), so we have to set the variable names for the
>> current field
>
>How is that data stored?  All in the same wiki.d folder or in separate
>wiki.d folders?

Our current thinking is a wikifarm/ directory that contains
$Field.wiki.d/ and (if enabled) $Field.uploads/ -- but you could also
do wiki.d/$Field/ and uploads/$Field/

--
JR