[Pmwiki-users] Re: PHP-question -- sharing data between invocations

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu May 6 15:48:48 CDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, H. Fox wrote:

> Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > I started thinking about performance related to the question of
> > knowing the names of all wiki pages. Now I wonder if it's possible to
> > share information between invocations of pmwiki.php. E.g. the first
> > time pmwiki.php is called, it creates a hash-list with the names of
> > all pages. The second time pmwiki.php is called, this list is already
> > created. (I guess this is basically a cache).
> >
> > One solution could be to write the hash-list to a file on a
> > RAM-drive, but I wonder if there is some other mechanism that'd allow
> > the variable (hash-list) to "stay in RAM", so that it's available for
> > the next invokation.
>
> If the hash-list is written to a file wouldn't it be held in the
> filesystem cache (RAM) by the OS, or possibly hardware hardware cache
> memory, if it has been accessed recently?

Hmm.. guess you're right, i.e. might as well leave that up to the
filesystem.

Anyway, my question was more PHP-related in general, i.e. if/how
information can be shared between invocations.

/Christian