[Pmwiki-users] Password protection

dave@hill-kleerup.org dave
Fri May 7 07:52:59 CDT 2004

I have a Wiki group that will consist of material that should be visible to
all comers, and other material that should not be.  There's enough of the
latter that I've put in a [read] password for the group config file, with
the intent of individually setting to "nopass" the [read] passwords for the
pages which will be public.  (Because the need for security is more to
prevent inadvertent stumbling-across, I'm not worrying about the [edit]
passwords.)

I've also added into the sidebar an entry to make password mods easier ("*
[[ThisPage:?action=attr Modify page password]]"

It would be nice if I could put some sort of indicator in a page that would
show whether there were [read] or [edit] passwords set for the page.  I
think it's going to be far too easy to inadvertently block something that
should be visible (or, if I didn't have a group password, too easy to not
block something that should be).  It seems to me that sort of indicator
would also be of value for letting folks know when pages are editable or
not.

One thought I'd toyed with was just putting the secure material into a
different group (leaving the public group with no read password, the
private group with one).  I may still do that.  But I may also do a lot of
cross-referencing between the stuff in each category, and adding group
prefixes sounds like another opportunity for error.  And  since I think
that some pages may go from "secret" to "public" over time, that idea
complicates things some.

Any other thoughts?

*** Dave