[Pmwiki-users] Re: www.pmwiki.org

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue May 11 12:10:37 CDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> to create a Redirect so that http://www.pmwiki.org/PmWiki/PmWiki
> is redirected to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki.

I seem to remember there was something that wasn't so good about this
style (which I'm using a wiki.lyx.org), but I can't remember what. It's
probably that when I give
	http://wiki.lyx.org
as the URI, people tend to think that they will be able to write:
	http://wiki.lyx.org/Group/PageName

Will this work on pmwiki.org?

> The official address for the main PmWiki page is going to be
> http://www.pmwiki.org.
>
> Alternately, I could perhaps set pmwiki.org so that URLs are
> of the form http://www.pmwiki.org/Group/SomePage (i.e., no /wiki
> component in the URL path), but while it does look nice I fear that
> it also might prove confusing to people considering or installing
> PmWiki for the first time.

I don't think it'll confuse people as much as make them disappointed if
they can't configure the Apache server (like me :-(  However, we could
add a paragraph like this to the installation page:

	Please note that the URI of your basic PmWiki installation will
	probably be something like:
		http://www.somewhere.net/wiki/pmwiki.php
	In order to get a ''prettier'' URI such as
		http://www.pmwiki.org/PmWiki/Installation
	have a look at ???

Finally, a slightly different solution would be to use:

	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Group/SomePage

together with

	http://wiki.pmwiki.org/Group/SomePage

I'm not sure I like it, but...